Wednesday 9 November 2011

Common Teal (The uncommon duck)

I had heard about the Common Teal or in Dutch Wintertaling before, but I never saw one until recently. It is a migrating bird, so you have to wait until Autumn anyway. The Latin name is: Anas Crecca. The moment I saw this duck, I was mesmerized. 


Male and female Teal. MAE©2011
There is nothing "common" about the Common Teal. The very bright green and brown colours of their feathers makes this duck look very special. Most teals are actually very special. The Cape Teal is very pretty with their grey-brown feathers and their bright red bill and the Marbled Teal looks as if somebody has glued their thick feathers on an "empty" duck one by one. Finally the Ringed Teal is just a funny looking duck and looks more like a toy. But being a teal, it is still a beautiful one.



But this blog is a tribute to the simple common teal. As always, I found out on the website of London Wetland Centre that they were spotted and I could not resist. Once inside, I immediately went to the first hide and saw the duck just in front of me.


The pictures speak for themselves...








Brightly coloured male Teal .MAE©2011


No comments:

Post a Comment